So my Dad has this Collection

Introduce yourself to the Avon Collectors forum members

Moderator: findavon

G24Avon

So my Dad has this Collection

Post by G24Avon »

Can anyone give me some advice for helping my Dad sell his collection. I’ve read the blog post “Finding the value of Avon collectibles”, and I’ve ordered Bud Hastin’s catalog (2007). But I have a feeling that just getting a ball park estimate on what a reasonable price to ask for it may prove difficult. For instance, the majority of the bottles are still full and in the box, does that make them more valuable? And then how does one go about actually selling a collection of 200 plus random bottles - I do not want to set up a store and sell them individually? I’m totally new to this, and like I said, any advice or helpful hints would be most appreciated.
findavon
Site Admin

Re: So my Dad has this Collection

Post by findavon »

Good morning! I think (even though we never were in the 'bottle' market ourselves, I can answer one of your questions.

Bud Hastin always recommended that bottles were priced empty - and generally in those days an empty bottle would be worth about the same as when it was full and new. Due to weight, as well as the issue of shipping full bottles, since anything containing alcohol must ship via a ground method, we never considered carrying bottles since the shipping cost would almost always be higher than the amount that a buyer would pay for the bottle itself. We did early on (back in the 90's carry an occasional full bottle of recent colognes that were still usable, that was an exception to our general policy).

I don't have a best answer on what to do with full bottles, if they are more than a few years old they are likely going to be a challenge to empty (smell). You might want to consider a local antiques/collectibles market - since there is no shipping involved they might take them on.

I look forward to others who have dealt with bottles on how they dealt with them :) All the very best.
Anne
G24Avon

Post by G24Avon »

Thank you for the help. You are correct about the smell! After so many years every one of them smells exactly the same “fragrance”, au d’ Avon. And I’m quite sure you’re right that we could get the best value out of it if we could sell them ourselves at a flea market, but that’s not really an option. And for someone to take them on consignment it would require them to commit a sizable space for all of them.
My guess is our best bet is to find someone who collects and sells (flea market or on-line store) avon bottles and sell them the whole kit and kaboodle. But I have no idea how to find such a person. Again, I appreciate your help.
findavon
Site Admin

Post by findavon »

In my opinion your best bet is to drop by any and all collectibles shops within your driving distance (or call if they have a phone number, but many of these folks are in antique mall type situations). Keep in mind I do not know the current state of the collectibles market, it was quite depressed for a considerable period of time from the housing crisis on…